Dental Insurance (Retiree)
This dental program is for PEF retirees only. Accepting new enrollments now for a January 1, 2018 effective date.
Affordable dental care1:
Dental insurance can help lower your out-of-pocket expenses so you and your family can maintain healthy smiles—and better overall health, too. Whether you are a new PEF Retiree or have been retired for a while, you can benefit from a dental plan that pays some or all of your dental expenses for covered services when you visit an in-network dentist after you satisfy your annual deductible—$25 for you, $50 for you and a dependent, or $75 for your family.
Preventive services (Type I)
Restorative services (Type II)**
Major restorative services (Type III)**
| 50% coverage
**Subject to plan information
$1,500 calendar year maximum:
$1,500 calendar year maximum benefit from a dental plan that does not count preventative services toward a $1,500 calendar years maximum leaving you with more coverage for more expensive procedures.
Access to a national network of dentists:
Visit a dentist from Assurant* Dental network and you will have no out-of-pocket costs for covered preventive services once you have satisfied the annual deductible. Finding an in-network dentist is easy—simply visit www.sunlife.com/findadentist and choose from more than 13,000 unique providers in New York and New Jersey, and more than 120,000 unique providers nationwide. If you choose to visit an out-of-network dentist, you will need to satisfy your annual deductible, pay the difference between Sun Life’s fee schedule and the dentist’s fee for covered services, and possibly submit a claim form.
Cover your spouse (or certified domestic partner) and your dependent children so you can help your whole family stay healthy.
Here are a few things to consider once you are ready to sign up:
- You must be a current dues-paying member of the PEF Retirees at the time of your enrollment to be eligible for the NYS PEF Retiree Dental Program.
- Coverage for dependent children will end on the last day of the month in which they turn 19, or age 25 if a full-time student.
- If you apply within 120 days of a Qualified Status Change (e.g., you get married), you can change your coverage to PEF retirees only, PEF retiree and a dependent, or PEF retiree and family.
- If you terminate your dental coverage, you will not be allowed to re-enroll in coverage at a later date. However, if you previously terminated your coverage and have a Qualified Status Change, you may re-enroll if you do so within 120 days of the date of your Qualified Status Change.
New enrollment frequently asked questions:
- Download enrollment form and mail your enrollment form to PEF Membership Benefits Program, c/o Sun Life Financial, Member Adjustment Dept., W460, P.O. Box 725, Windsor, CT 06095-9950.
- Download enrollment form and fax it to Sun Life at (519) 342-6858.
- Email your enrollment form.
- Call Sun Life at 1-844-738-8118, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 8 pm, EST, to speak with a live Customer Service Representative.
PEF Retiree Dental Plan Group Number: 5487131
Convenient pension deduction:
Pay your dental premiums through pension deduction and enjoy the freedom and time-saving convenience. Pension deduction also saves you check processing fees for dues (14% per year).
Once Sun Life receives your request for enrollment, Sun Life will confirm with PEF Membership Benefits Program that you are an active member of the PEF retirees, and you have not previously been enrolled in the PEF retirees dental plan. It will take 8-10 business days for your identification cards to be printed and mailed.
- Call Sun Life at 1-844-738-8118 or
- Visit them online to contact customer service via email.
To update your personal information:
- Call Sun Life at 1-844-738-8118
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, EST, to make updates to your personal information (i.e., name changes, address changes, incorrect date of birth or Social Security number). Mention group number 5487131.
About Retiree Membership Dues:
Retirees should call:
1-518-785-1900, ext. 289
1-800-342-4306, ext. 289
For Billing, call PEF Membership Benefits at:
1-518-785-1900, ext. 243 or
1-800-342-4306, ext. 243
1. Sun Life dental insurance does not provide coverage for pediatric oral health services that satisfies the requirements for “minimum essential coverage” as defined by The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“PPACA”).
2. Sun Life’s dental networks include dentists contracted with Dental Health Alliance, L.L.C.® (D.H.A.®) and dentists under access arrangements with other dental networks.
In New York, insurance products are underwritten by Union Security Life Insurance Company of New York (Fayetteville, NY) under Policy Form Series GP-12 Den PFP NY/GC-12 Den CFP NY and administered by Sun Life and Health Insurance Company (U.S.) (SLHIC) (Lansing, MI).
© 2017 Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, Wellesley Hills, MA 02481. All rights reserved. Sun Life Financial and the globe symbol are registered trademarks of Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. Visit us at www.sunlife.com/us.
GDBCH-EE-4563kk SLPC 26101 11/17(exp.11/18)