Enroll in the National Safety Council’s
6-Hour Defensive Driving Course
Approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles
This course is available to active dues-paying members/retirees and immediate family members, who reside in New York State, for just $21 for the classroom style or $18 for online class.
The National Safety Council (NSC) course is state specific. If you reside in another state, you will need to verify with your insurance company that they will provide a discount for completing the course. The NSC reports their class participation and certificate of completion data to New York State Department of Motor Vehicles only. Therefore, any eligible point reductions will only be applied to a New York State driver’s license.
Participate in the 6-hour course and take advantage of these key benefits:
- Refresh your driving knowledge
- Improve your overall driving skills
- Help prevent you from losing your license in the event you accrued 11 or more points on your driving record
- Keep insurance rates as low as possible
Please Note: The point reduction will not cancel a mandatory suspension or revocation already taken against a motorist’s driving privileges.
Learn more about point reduction via the Point and Insurance Reduction Program (PIRP—also known as the Defensive Driving Course)
Key features of the classroom and online course:
- Access to a traditional class course for just $21 or an online course for just $18 (regular classroom price: $40.00, regular online price: $29.95)
- 10% discount from the base rate of your current liability, no-fault and collision premiums (including property damage, bodily injury, and personal injury protection) each year for three years.*
- Your three-year discount will apply to premiums for all vehicles for which you are listed as principal operator, including:
- Recreational vehicles
- Upon successful completion of the course:
- An official National Safety Council Certificate of Completion is mailed to you.
- For classroom courses, certificates are issued from the National Safety Council in Syracuse, NY. Leave adequate time for receipt of the certificate.
- If you do not receive your certificate from your classroom course and you reach out to the National Safety Council within 3 months of taking the course, they will send you a new certificate at no cost.
- To request a new certificate if the above applies to you, please contact the National Safety Council in Syracuse at 1-800-962-3434 (select option #1).
- For online courses, certificates are issues from Safety Serve.
- If you do not receive a certificate from your online course, please call Safety Serve at 1-800-775-1484. You will need to speak directly to a representative and you will need to provide your date of birth and your license number
- Your successful completion status is electronically transmitted to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles.
- If you are eligible, the DMV will apply the point reduction to your driving record.
To be eligible, you must complete the National Safety Council’s 6-hour DDC through one of our approved PEF locations or you may take the online course.
To Register and for more information on Traditional Defensive Driving Course.
To Register and for more information on Online Defensive Driving Course.
*This discount applies to the base rate of your automobile and motorcycle liability and collision insurance premiums, each year for three years, provided you are listed as the principal operator.
**May be taken once every 18 months for point reduction.
Please Note: National Safety Council Certificates of Completion are distributed via the Syracuse, NY office. If you do not receive your certificate via the mail, you may request that a new one be mailed to you. If you request a new certificate within 3 months of the date you took the course, you will receive a replacement certificate at no cost to you. If you request one after the 3 month window, you will need to pay for a replacement certificate. To request a replacement please call: The Syracuse office at (800) 962-3434 or Safety Serve at (800) 775-1484.