Enroll in the National Safety Council’s
6-Hour Defensive Driving Course
Approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles
This course is available to active dues-paying members/retirees and immediate family members, who reside in New York State, for just $21 for the classroom style or $18 for online class.
The National Safety Council (NSC) course is state specific. If you reside in another state, you will need to verify with your insurance company that they will provide a discount for completing the course. The NSC reports their class participation and certificate of completion data to New York State Department of Motor Vehicles only. Therefore, any eligible point reductions will only be applied to a New York State driver’s license.
Participate in the 6-hour course and take advantage of these key benefits:
- Improve your overall driving skills
- Reduce points on your license following the issuance of a ticket
- Improve your standing at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
- Avoid a possible court appearance
- Keep insurance rates as low as possible
- Avoid possible license suspension
Key features of the classroom and online course:
- Access to a traditional class course for just $21 or an online course for just $18 (regular classroom price: $40.00, regular online price: $29.95)
- 10% discount from the base rate of your current liability, no-fault and collision premiums (including property damage, bodily injury, and personal injury protection) each year for three years.*
- Your three-year discount will apply to premiums for all vehicles for which you are listed as principal operator, including:
- Recreational vehicles
- Four (4) points will be automatically deducted from the total on your driver’s record if you have incurred violations during the 18-month period prior to completing DDC.**
- The point reduction could help you avoid a license suspension! Points reductions remain on record, but are not counted by the DMV in determining administrative actions against license.
- Please Note: The point reduction will not cancel a mandatory suspension or revocation already taken against a motorist’s driving privileges.
- Upon successful completion of the course:
- An official National Safety Council Certificate of Completion is mailed to you.
- Certificates are issued from the National Safety Council in Syracuse, NY. Leave adequate time for receipt of the certificate.
- If you do not receive your certificate and you reach out to the National Safety Council within 3 months of taking the course, they will send you a new certificate at no cost.
- To request a new certificate if they above applies to you, please contact the National Safety Council in Syracuse at 1-800-962-3434 (select option #1) or Safety Serve at 1-800-775-1484. You will need to speak directly to a representative and you will need to provide your date of birth and your license number
- Your successful completion status is electronically transmitted to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles.
- If you are eligible, the DMV will apply the point reduction to your driving record.
To be eligible, you must complete the National Safety Council’s 6-hour DDC through one of our approved PEF locations or you may take the online course.
To Register and for more information on Traditional Defensive Driving Course.
To Register and for more information on Online Defensive Driving Course.
*This discount applies to the base rate of your automobile and motorcycle liability and collision insurance premiums, each year for three years, provided you are listed as the principal operator.
**May be taken once every 18 months for point reduction.
Please Note: National Safety Council Certificates of Completion are distributed via the Syracuse, NY office. If you do not receive your certificate via the mail, you may request that a new one be mailed to you. If you request a new certificate within 3 months of the date you took the course, you will receive a replacement certificate at no cost to you. If you request one after the 3 month window, you will need to pay for a replacement certificate. To request a replacement please call: The Syracuse office at (800) 962-3434 or Safety Serve at (800) 775-1484.